Monday, August 27, 2007

Chengdu Part Two: Pictures

Downtown Chengdu. The tricycle taxis were everywhere!


My friend Wen wen (Dawn) downtown.


Dawn and I.


With the kids of one of the guards on Children's Day. From what I understand it is celebrated on June 1 every year for kids under 12.


Friends Yang Ying and Shen Di on a double decker bus.

Yang Ying extatic about the duck neck she just bought. How could I say no to spicy chunks of a duck's neck, bones and all?


A tourist street in Chengdu, the same place Yang Ying bought the deck neck in fact, which might I add sparked the interest of all the other Chinese students with us. Needless to say, I was a little surprised when they all promply returned with a bags of duck hearts and duck organs raveled up on sticks. The heart actually wasn't half bad!


With my professor, Sterling, from Mizzou. He was born and raised in Beijing and now teaches finance at Mizzou. He was recently offered tenureship after publishing 11 papers among other things during his first six years at MU. Definately a bright guy, and a lot of fun to travel with.


With Michael, Dawn, and Shirley on the last day we spent in Chengdu.


On the way to the park with Dawn, Shirley, and a friend.


In the first of three courtyards inside a Buddhist temple. We lit 3 new sticks of incense in each courtyard and bowed to the Buddha in the next doorway before proceeding.


With American-born Chinese, my roommate Tom, and students from Chengdu on the last night.


Inside Carrefour (a French retailer that has been more successful than Walmart in Asia, and I believe Europe)


Tea with Dawn and Michelle.

No comments: